- Disc displacement resulting in restricted jaw opening, noises or
- gliding of mandible Displacement of jaw Aplasia, hipoplasia,
- hiperplasia or neoplasia of the joint Inflammatory diseases like
- synovitis, arthritis, poliarthritis Osteoarthritis and later ankylosis
- (ossification of the joint resulting in immobilisation)
The diagnosis is got after a thorough clinical and radiological examination and the proper treatment can be planned.
Non-surgical treatment includes muscle excersizes, medication when indicated, and mechanical treatment which aim at providing correct occlusial relations. Splints (thin transparent molds) are made individually. They relieve the symptoms and show the necessity of adjustment and reorganizing of occlusion.
Problems are defined by the dentist and treated by a prosthetic or orthodontic approach. Severe cases are treated surgically.
Patients under therapy should avoid extreme moves and eliminate the stress factor with psychiatric help if necessary.